Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Emerging Church

What was the church of your youth like?

For me it was a place of worship.
It was a cocoon of safety where I was nurtured by the believers on Sunday I saw throughout the week.
It was a place where I went largely because my friends were there.
It taught me faith was deeply personal.
Adults went on mission trips only if they were chaperones for the youth.

It did not teach me how to bridge between my culture and others.
Service was raking leaves of Senior Citizens in the community. It was an activity not a way of life.
Faith was personal ethics with most of the training coming from family. Biblical study, theological dialogue and spiritual disciplines were not assumed or taught.

I love my home church and am grateful for what they gave me. I do not blame for what wasn't given to me, it was not given to them either.

How different the church is today.

Today our youth learn early mission and service is an expectation of the witness of our faith. They have taken more mission trips and service projects by the time they graduate high school than their parents and grandparents have their entire lives.
Biblical study is at least exposed to them if not yet fully embraced. Some are even wanting Bible Study and ask for it.
Worship is important, thought they often struggle to find a style that helps them enter into a deeper relationship with God.
Their passion is to serve, their blind spot is to understand how worship and prayer is critical for the spiritual foundation required.
Adults are going on mission trips without the kids.

The church has changed so much and told the world so little about how or why.

How is the church of your youth and present experience alike or the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment